Tuesday, June 16, 2009

slushy rhubarb punch


Got lot's of this growing in your back yard? Or, like me, you don't but were able to beg some off your mom or an un-suspecting sister in law? Then make this yummy summer drink:

First, combine 8 cups of chopped rhubarb and 8 cups water, and 2-3 cups of white sugar ( I used 2):

add 1/2 a cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice and boil for 10-15 minutes.

Once the rhubarb is very soft, add a 4 oz package of strawberry jello. Then you need to puree it. This is where I found out that my perfect tool for the job (a hand held immersion blender) no longer works. So I did it in batches in my food processor(the one my mom passed on to be when that kitchen tool also died-thanks mom!). Then just pour it into 2 ziploc freezer bags and throw it in the freezer until you want to use it.

To serve, put the rhubarb mix into a punch bowl and add a 2L bottle of your favorite clear fizzy drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this looks so yummy! I unfortunately do not have a lot of this. :( This weekend we bought some at the farmer's market from a hutterite woman who was probably in disbelief that she could actually sell the stuff for a pretty penny. Maybe I'll try this one next year if I have a plant by then. In the meantime, I'll save my few stalks for some rhubarb cake today.